If all you want to do is stream videos, setting up Red5 is fairly simple.
- Install JRE 5 or 6
- Install Red5 (http://osflash.org/red5/help)
- Create a folder your Red5 “webapps” folder, name it what you like such as “vod”
- Create a folder within that called “streams”
- Place your flv files in the streams folder
- Access your streams using rtmp://yourdomain.com/vod/test where “yourdomain.com” is your Red5 host, “vod” is the folder you created in step 3, and “test” relates to an example “test.flv” file in that folder
It’s that simple.